Michael Dörr



My name is Michael Dörr. I live together with my wife and parents-in-law in a village near Saarbrücken (Germany). To my delight, my two adult daughters live nearby. As I am a family person, I would love to stay with all of them in a big house.
 I work as a nurse in the anesthesia department of a hospital. That makes photography more of a hobby, or more precisely, my passion.

The focus of my photographic work is, as you can easily see, in the range of people photography, although I have also experimented with photographing landscapes and animals before. But in the end the encounters with the people I worked with have always been the most fulfilling part of it. That’s why at some point I turned to portrait and nude photography. I value the insight into other people’s lives, enjoy the conversations and bonding with them during our photography sessions. Even friendships developed from some encounters, which I think is especially precious.

For me, it is most important to take credible photos. I don't like professional posing but prefer authentic pictures that reflect the feeling of the shooting. I aspire to create a pleasant and calm atmosphere in which we both, the model and I, can feel comfortable and safe. Flash equipment and other technical devices tend to distract me. Therefore, camera and tripod is all I usually use.
Although I do own a digital camera, most photos I take are analogue. Over the years I have accumulated a whole collection of cameras, of which I appreciate the Contax645 and the Pentax67II the most. After developing the films at home, I used to enlarge the negatives in the darkroom. Meanwhile, I scan them to prepare them for further editing on the computer. 
 
As many analogue photographers, I feel the benefit of working with film especially is the way it slows down the whole process of taking pictures. Moreover, I prefer the unique colours and tonal values film has. Especially Kodak Portra comes with colours I would never be able to reproduce digitally. Also, even when converting black and white photos, my Photoshop lags way behind the qualities of Tri-X 400 or Tmax, which I really like.

I would like to give you more insight into me or my way of photographing, but there is not much more to tell. Also, I cannot provide you with tips or good advice about cameras or darkroom technology, because my knowledge here is only slightly above basic level. 
But if you can feel the atmosphere I felt while taking my photos… if you not only see colours, light and tonal values in them, but if the pictures leave you mesmerized, maybe even feel touched and deeply moved... that would make me very happy.