Isadora J.

 










I was born and raised in Boorloo/Perth, Western Australia. I have always had talented photographer friends and found what they did pretty magical. I still do! I wanted to be able to capture the world around me as they did. Especially as most of my other artistic talents have yet to reveal themselves!

My photos don't usually feature human or animal subjects. This isn't really a deliberate choice as much as I drift more to landscapes and interiors (and moving subjects are intimidating to me!). I feel I move quite slowly through life and have spent long periods of it spending most of my time alone. I definitely feel this reflects in my photos. They often are described as being snapshots of memories or dreams, and although I need to improve my technical ability these descriptions are still an honour.

To be honest, I'm finding inspiration in the corner of my eye every day. There is a lot of suburban sprawl where I live and while that isn’t a great thing for any city, I am always catching glimpses of its many layers and secrets. I have lived here my whole life and though it may seem dull to some it’s been a very formative scape for me. Also old school National Geographic and surf/travel magazines aesthetically and on a technical level. There's a time period of film photography on Flickr that was a huge source of inspiration to me. Something about the silence, the mystery, and a kind of “unknown” element to it. It seems hard to explain, but anyone familiar will definitely know what I’m talking about! And lastly, photographers world wide are producing such amazing work. It can be intimidating but definitely inspires me! Aerials, mountains, and all things botanic. The textures of the natural world. Although I'm still a bit of a novice, still life will always be a favourite of mine!

My first film camera was my beloved Praktica TL5B, and my current go-to is the Canon EOS 500. I received many cameras as hand-me-downs from relatives and have honestly used so many over the years it is hard to pick a favourite! I will always love a stopped-down photo, and am dabbling in collage and simple photo animation. I worked in a camera store/photo lab for some years and hope to try developing one day!

 

Flickr

Instagram 

Tumblr